Desire2Learn Incorporated (Desire2Learn), is a privately-held company with global offices that has a mission of transforming teaching and learning.
Today the company and its subsidiaries support more than 5 million learners worldwide.
In 2009, Desire2Learn was ranked, for the fourth consecutive year, amongst the fastest growing technology companies in Canada by the Deloitte Technology Fast 50 program with five-year revenue growth of 362%. . Desire2Learn is also the recipient of the USDLA 2009 21st Century Best Practice Distance Learning Award .
Founded in April 1999, by President and CEO John Baker, the company is headquartered in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, and has personnel located in the U.S., Canada, the U.K. and Australia.
Desire2Learn provides eLearning solutions to academic and other leading organizations around the world.
The Enterprise eLearning suite provided by Desire2Learn includes:
* Learning Environment — a web-based suite of teaching and learning tools that provide course development, delivery and management
* ePortfolio — a system for collecting, organizing, reflecting on, and presenting learning artifacts. It can be used for presenting materials for assignments, working on group projects, peer review, résumé creation and job seeking, and developing a full electronic portfolio of work. It can also be used for social learning applications
* Competencies — a comprehensive and flexible suite of Competency tracking and reporting tools
* Analytics — a business intelligence solution which provides transparency to all of the various datasets that make up the Desire2Learn Learning Environment
* Learning Repository — an integrated standards-based Learning Object Repository that provides storing, tagging, researching and reusing of learning objects
* LiveRoom — a set of communication tools to enable real-time collaboration between instructors and students
* Desire2Learn 2GO — a mobile learning application that lets users access course information from a BlackBerry mobile device
The company has established partnerships with Cengage Learning; Elluminate; IBM; iParadigms, LLC; McGraw Hill Education; Microsoft; Respondus; Sun Microsystems; SunGard Higher Education; Pearson Education Inc.
According to Desire2Learn's PatentInfo Blog, Desire2Learn won their Appeal in the Federal Circuit -- the judgment was reversed and the claims asserted are now invalid. Desire2Learn and Blackboard have also settled their other litigation.