Campus of The Hill School

The Hill School maintains a large campus for the use of students. In 1934, the school's facilities were listed as seven baseball fields, six football fields, four basketball courts, nine hole golf link, two swimming pools, and 30 tennis courts.
National Historic District
Areas of the school are included under the High Street Historic District
The school has a number of dormitories,
Hunt Upper School
The Hunt Upper School is 12,000 square feet in size. It is a 6-storey structure, with the top floor unoccupied and the bottom floor used as space for a Business office and medical center. Its renovation received an Award of Excellence from the Delaware Chapter of Associated Builders and Contractors
Marjorie Potts Wendell Dormitory
Marjorie Potts Wendell Dormitory's namesake was a direct descendant of John Potts, founder of Pottstown, and wife of James Wendell. It is the only dormitory to be named after a woman.
Academic facilities
Center for the Arts
Includes the Boyer Gallery, and a 720-seat auditorium, art rooms, private practice rooms, group practice rooms, classrooms, cantilevered sound and lighting booths, projection booth, theatrical lighting, fly tower 2,000 square feet stage Orchestra pit, Glass walled two-story lobby, and offices.
Classroom building
The classroom building was originally located on the site of the current memorial hall as a medical center.
Academic Center
Built on the site of the former Middle School, it is the main academic building.
Widener Arts & Crafts Building
Named after Harry Elkins Widener.
This building includes the Jon Silverstein '09 Electronic Media
Studio, Woodshop, and meeting space.
Widener Science Building
Named after Harry Elkins Widener after a $300,000 donation from his mother Eleanor Elkins Widener.
Memorial Hall
Memorial Hall houses the John P. Ryan Library, The Humphrey Family Writing Center, Levis '45 * Alexandre '75 Center for Humanities, and The Hill School Archives.
The John P. Ryan Library holds over 50,000 print volumes in 34,300 square feet of room.
Dining room
Constructed in 1914 in the English Renaissance style, the school's dining hall is where all meals are kept. Its walls are adorned with paintings by N. C. Wyeth
Alumni Chapel
Built in 1904 of sandstone
It includes the Keith Merrill Memorial Organ, a gift from the Merrill family in memory of Keith Merrill, Hill Class of 1906
Sherrill Guest House
The guest house building was originally built in 1939 to house the School’s nurses. The Guest house has seven rooms for visiting guests.
Class of 1960 Alumni House
A house located on 715 High St. operates as the Alumni house, and includes offices of the Alumni Association.
Athletic facilities
Lehrman '56 Pavilion
Completed in 2014, the Lehrman Pavilion is named after Lewis Lehrman, Class of 1956. The project architect was Richard McElhiney, Hill Class of 1971. The facility includes two team changing rooms, restrooms, the Ram Shack snack bar, and a 360-degree upstairs viewing balcony. Wohlsen Construction Company, the Lancaster, Pa.-based construction firm that built the Pavilion, received an Award of Excellence from the Associated Builders and Contractors (Keystone Chapter) for the Pavilion in the category “Institutional Construction Under $2 Million.”
Far Fields
The far fields refer to the 2 softball, 2 baseball, and 6 lacrosse/soccer fields that are used for sub-varsity and intramural competition. They are also frequently used by other organisations. "Far Fields Football" is a commonly used phrase to refer to Junior Varsity football at The Hill.
Sweeney Gymnasium
Constructed in 1931, it was named after administrator and coach Mike Sweeeney While originally the main gymnasium for use in basketball competitions, it is today used only for intramural competition. Recent renovations have allowed the facility to be used to host wrestling competitions.
Brookside Country Club
The country club was built after a second attempt by the school to build a course, in conjunction with local Pottstown residents. Construction of the course began in 1916 and opened for play in 1917. Hill students and faculty are allowed to use the facilities without charge after a competency examination. The club owns nine of the holes outright and nine of the holes are leased by The Hill for 50 years.
< Prev   Next >